Private Fears in Public Spaces
Performance dates: 6 – 10 February 2024 at Chapter Arts Centre.
Director: Robert Gairey.
“Private Fears in Public Places” is essentially a relationship drama, and a musing on loss, and loneliness. Elements of comedy but rather a sombre, melancholy piece. It would need to be a period piece, as a VHS video tape is essential to the plot.
There are a series of stories throughout the play, each of which involve six characters interconnecting in different ways across 51 short scenes.
Dan, an ex-army officer, spends his time drinking in a bar and pouring out his philosophy to barman Ambrose, and letting his relationship with Nicola slide; he has a chance of future happiness when he meets Imogen, but things don’t go as planned.
Imogen’s brother, Estate agent Stewart, who has been trying to sell a flat to Nicola, is lent an inspirational tape by co-worker Charlotte, but sitting at home, he finds that there is more on the tape than he bargained for.
As an evening job, Charlotte starts working as a new carer for Ambrose’s bed-ridden father, Arthur. She has an unconventional way of dealing with Arthur’s rudeness – but a way that has consequences.
The play has a cast of six, three men – two in their 30s and one (Ambrose) somewhat older. Three women, all in their 30s. Also a voice off, of Ambrose’s elderly father. Various character traits to suit different Everyman members:
• Dan – ex-army, embittered, shattered, very much at a loss with his life and relationships
• Stewart – go-ahead at work but lazy at home, rather indolent
• Ambrose – older, a barman and good listener, with good advice, though completely under the thrall of his elderly father, rather put-upon
• Nicola – upwardly mobile, though increasingly frustrated by her fiancé Dan
• Imogen – lonely and looking for love
• Charlotte – devoutly Christian, sincere and helpful, also put-upon, and with a surprising past
Auditions will take place on Saturday 23 September (AM) with callbacks taking place on the evening of Friday 29 September.
Further information to follow…